Sunday, October 11, 2015

Spooky DIY Dress

Dress and pin: DIY, Tights: Forever 21, Boots: h&m
I made and wore this dress two weeks ago but then I've been sick so I didn't really get a chance to post it but here is how I made my spooky Halloween-print shift dress if you happen to be in the market for your own.

Materials:
2 1/2- 3 yards of fun fabric (I used a Maude Asbury "Spooktacular Too" fabric that you can find online here or here)
1/2 a yard of plain fabric for the collar
1 zipper for the back

I didn't use a pattern because I couldn't find one that I wanted at the craft store and also because I'm too impatient to order one online and wait for it to come so I *wing*ed it (bat pun) basing the shape off of my collared shift dress
Tbh it would have turned out much better if I'd used a pattern but this worked fine. I just laid the dress over the fabric with candles holding it in place and cut out two pieces for the front and back. The front just had to be cut with a lower neckline for the collar.

After cutting out the main dress I sewed up the sides and shoulders. Then, I used the collar on the original dress as a base for the collar for this one. I traced the basic shape of it then changed the lines to look like bat wings

I cut out four copies of that pattern and sewed each pair together, leaving the top open so that I could turn them inside out and attach them to the dress
After I'd turned them inside out I did a stitch along the edge to show off the shape of them

I cut out interfacing from the first fabric using the top of the collar and used that to attach the collar
I also used interfacing to finish the arm holes
Then I just added a zipper at the back and hemmed the bottom

I wore my dress with polka dot tights and witch boots and added a glittery homemade bat pin to help disguise the wonky proportions of my dress. I did my hair up in a messy pseudo-beehive and pinned roses in it.
I hope you have a lovely day!
Love,
Chloe 

No comments:

Post a Comment