Thursday, February 21, 2013

Style Inspiration: 3AM (Kate Nash)

 




Outfit Details- T-shirt: #modcloth, Skirt: #forever21, Tights: Vintage (Mary Quant), Shoes: Ross, Belt: American Eagle
Kate Nash's new music video for 3AM came out the other day, and I automatically needed to wear an outfit inspired by it. It was filled with rollerskating, 70's style outfits, crochet blouses, and a bunch of glitter. Plus, the song is super awesome and has been stuck in my head all day.
Also, I really loved her hair. At first, when I saw pictures of her "new look," I had kind of mixed feelings about it, because I always loved her style, and I really loved her shorter hair cut. But then, I kind of thought about how it's totally her right to try something new, and to change her style from time to time. I read a post she wrote on a music blog about it, and how she's just kind of evolved, which everyone does, and that she's proud of the music she was making when she was 18, but that she's not going to just recreate it again and again, because it would be boring. The article thing's really cool, so you should check it out if you get a chance.
This was all right after Underestimate the Girl came out, and people were starting to kind of freak out because it was actually dark, and angsty, and punky sounding. And, yeah, at first, I was kind of freaked out too, but then I listened to it about 20 times, and I loved it. It kind of went along with The Mansion Song, which also had a lot darker lyrics, and more wailing vocals, and I love that song, too. I kind of realized that Underestimate the Girl, and, later, Death Proof, really were just natural progressions, and they completely made sense. Plus, I saw a video of her preforming O My God at Bestival, and kind of went "Oh, it's OK. She's still Kate Nash." There was also this video of her singing You're So Cool, I'm So Freaky there, where I kind of loved her dress.
 Kate Nash is a Riot Grrrl, and that's part of what I love about her! She'll pretty much do and wear whatever she wants, and I can totally stand behind that. To a bunch of college students, she said what has pretty much become my favorite quote ever, "Wake up every morning and tell yourself that you’re a badass bitch from hell and that no one can fuck with you and then don’t let anybody fuck with you."
So, yeah. She's kind of my favorite person, ever. Which is why I'm super-mega-foxy-awesome-excited that I got tickets to see her in LA on May 10th!! You can look at her tour dates here. I'm also super duper excited for her new album, Girl Talk. Look at the amazing preview thing for it!!

I will probably have other Kate Nash-inspired outfits in the future, so I specified that this one is for the 3AM video. For my hair, I braided it back, then put in my extensions, and parted my bangs to either side. Then, I safety-pinned a fake rose onto a black ribbon, and tied that around my head. I wore my new skirt from Forever 21, which reminded me of the crochet top Kate wears in the 3AM video, over my awesome tights, which reminded me of the bright swirly colors of the rollerskating part. In the video, I think she wears fake eyelashes on her bottom lids, but since I don't have any, I just drew them on to get the same basic look, and went super minimal on the rest of the makeup. It's not an exact replica, but I was just going for a similar over-all look as the video.
I hope you're days are glitterific!
Love,
Chloe

No comments:

Post a Comment