Monday, March 18, 2013

Style Inspiration: Maude (Harold and Maude)

Outfit Details- Dress: Vintage, Coat: Gap, Scarf: Vintage, Tights: #forever21, Shoes: Ross
Hi! Sorry, I realized that I haven't posted anything in about a week and a half, but last weekend I got sick, and then I was busy with make-up work and all kinds of other things, and then this weekend I had my friends over to watch the premier of A Very Potter Senior Year (which was supercalifragimazing!!!!) and then I went to a really cool song writing workshop for teenaged girls. put on by Girls Rock Santa Barbara, so I've been busy. But, while I was sick, I watched a gogillian movies and every episode of Freaks and Geeks and Portlandia (at least every one on Netflix), but one of the movies I watched (for the umpteenth time) was Harold and Maude, which is definitely up there on my list of favorite movies. Of course, I was completely inspired by Maude and her awesome style, hence this whole post.
If you haven't seen it before, Harold and Maude is basically about this morose, maybe 19/20 year old guy (Harold), who goes to funerals for fun and sets up intricate fake suicides for his mother's benefit ("No, I would not say 'benefit.'") as a recreational sport. At a funeral (where else?) he meets Maude, a 79 year old free-spirited woman who steals cars ("I'm merely acting as a gentle reminder: here today, gone tomorrow, so don't get attached to things now.") and wishes she could become a sunflower. Together, they save/steal trees to replant them in the forest ("Grab the shovel, Harold."), do somersaults (because "Harold, everyone has the right to make an ass out of themselves. You just can't let the world judge you too much."), and soon fall in love. The whole thing is set to an awesome soundtrack of nothing but Cat Stevens, with "If You Want to Sing Out" acting as a sort of theme, and is all grainy and saturated and 70's looking. Also, Harold drives a hearse. It's an awesome movie. Plus, I love the line when Maude says, "The earth is my body; my head is in the stars." then asks Harold who said that, and when he says he doesn't know she replies, "Well, I suppose I did, then."
If you have seen the movie, then I'm sorry if that's a bad description of it. Feel free to give your own or your over-all thoughts of the movie in the comments.
I wore my sunflower dress, because I think Maude would love it, and totally want to borrow it (if she didn't just steal it in order to remind me not to get too attached), along with a white coat and tights with a pink scarf, because they reminded me of this illustration:
 Unfortunately, I don't have an awesome yellow umbrella like she does, but I grabbed a clear one, because she'd never carry a black one. Of course I had to grab a shovel for some of my pictures, too.
Maude almost always wears her hair in two long braids, pinned over her head, so I braided my extensions into my hair, and pinned them up, throwing in some yellow daisies, because of her fascination with sunflowers and her and Harold's conversation about daisies. She also wears pretty little makeup, except for a light blue eyeshadow and a light lipstick. So, I did the eyeshadow and used a rose colored lip-liner and a similarly colored chap-stick type of thing.
Here's a few of my favorite screen-shots and posters from the movie:

I hope you all have a glitterific day!
Love,
Chloe
P.S. Congratulations to M'ris for winning the "Wreck this Journal" giveaway! Sorry it took so long to pick a winner, but as I explained before, I got sick and haven't really done anything with my blog all week.

2 comments:

  1. Awesome inspiration right? I remember watching the movie and thinking "Boy I wish I look like that when im 80 and boy I wish to be that AWESOME!" You look very pretty btw :)

    ReplyDelete