Saturday, June 8, 2013

Bring Out the Veils! (Style Inpiration: Lydia Deetz)

Outfit Details- Dress, Sweater, and Tutu: #forever21, Tights: Kmart, Shoes: Target, Hat: I have no idea..., Veil: A piece of lace cut from an old Halloween costume
It's Summer, and you know what that means, don't you? Bring out the veils! Technically, I wore this outfit a couple of weeks ago, but I love it. Luckily, these first few days of freedom (school got out on Thursday) have been perfectly over-cast and gloomy, but a few weeks ago the sun came out with a vengeance of no-cloud-in-sight-90-something-degree weather. For someone who hates the sun with a vampiracal loathing, and loves cloudy rainy weather, it was terrible. So, I broke out some Lydia Deetz-inspired veiled hats and black outfits. Lydia, of course, referring to the self-proclaimed "strange and unusual" girl from Beetlejuice (Beetlejuice! Beetlejuice!). In case you were wondering, this is how to be your best goth self, as told by Lydia Deetz. You'll have to remember to "Take a dance break, because goths secretly love dancing. Especially to Harry Belafonte."
Even wearing veils and layers of sunblock every day at school, I tanned. I don't have anything against tans or anything, and I love how it looks on other people, but I just like being uber pale. I think it's because then I can at least pretend I'm a vampire, without having to wear quite so much gothic makeup.  That's really difficult, though, when I tan super easily. None of my friends believe me when I try and tell them that, because I really am just super pale. The other day, though, I was showing my friend how "tan" my arm had gotten (which is basically just kind of pale to other people), and at first she was just kind of like "Chloe, that's still really pale," but then she looked at it again and agreed that "Well, I guess for Chloe-standards, that's kind of tan." Just noting: this is in no way a race thing or something, I just really like vampires.
I've spent the past two days doing just about nothing but watching cartoons on Netflix and sleeping. So far, I've watched the whole first season of "Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends," a bunch of "Ruby Gloom," and "Adventure Time." I also just watched "The Perks of Being a Wallflower" (we have a copy, so not on Netflix), and remembered how much I love the music in it. When I first saw it I was just kind of starting to listen to The Smiths and stuff like that, and now I noticed how much they mention The Smiths. The two characters' bedrooms that we see in it both have Smiths posters all over their walls, and "Asleep" is played and mentioned multiple times. I always think it's cool when I watch movies that I haven't seen in a while and I recognize all of these songs and things that I'd never heard when I saw it before.
For my outfit, I wore a black dress over a black tutu, black Kmart tights with a stripe of glitter running up each side, black oxfords, a black and white striped cardigan over my shoulders like a cape, and a quite fabulous hat and veil combo. Although this was the only one I took pictures of, I wore some sort of wide-brimmed hat (with or without a veil) with each outfit that week. I took an old black and white sunhat, and just pinned a bit of spider-web lace to it. I cut the lace off of an old Halloween costume. I did my hair Lydia-inspired, too. I pulled some of the back up into a half-ponytail, teased it out, and sprayed it with some hairspray. They kind of came out throughout the day, but I divided my bangs into 4 sections, then sprayed them, too.
I hope you all have glitterifically gloomy days!
Love,
Chloe

No comments:

Post a Comment