Tuesday, January 15, 2013

A Tribute to Stereotypical Weird Girls

 Outfit Details:
Shirt- High Voltage Tattoo
Sweater- #forever21
Skirt- #Forever21
Tights- Target
Shoes- (knock off) Doc Martins
This is sort of my homage to all of the stereotypical weird girls of film, literature, and the world. Not just my quirky sisters, but that character that's sort of a necessity in any elementary-high school set film, most prominently in the 90's and early 2000's. I'm talking that one girl on the playground with her hair in pigtails and/or braids, playing hopscotch or jumping rope, who's been thrown into the story to create some sort of comic oddities. While the bullies may tug her braids and call her names, she's never afraid to go beat the crap out of them. She's always just this awesome bad ass character who's not afraid to be herself. Even if she's hopelessly socially awkward, and usually kind of freaks every one else out, the weird girl is always my favorite character. For example:

Megan, from Max Keeble's Big Move (which is seriously one of the best movies ever). She may not be quite as strange as this type of character sometimes is, but Megan definitely portrays the not-caring-what-every-body-thinks traits, as long as the willingness to stand up to bullies.
Maya, from Dr. Doolittle. I think Maya was pretty much always my favorite character in this movie. I liked how just strange and unique she was, without caring that she was weird. She portrayed not only the weird traits of this kind of character, but the sort of nurturing side, too, when she was taking in animal eggs to hatch and take care of.
Young Gracie, from Miss Congeniality. She's pretty much exactly what I have in mind when describing this character. She's got the braids, the balls, and the social-awkwardness.
There are so many other good examples for this, but these were the best one's I could think of, and that I could find pictures for. These weren't perfect, but I think they're close enough to fit under this category.
Outfit wise, I didn't really have this specifically in mind when getting dressed, so it's not exact, but I think it still has the feel of this kind of character. I feel like if I switched the Docs for high-tops, and the shirt for something with a unicorn on it, it'd be spot on. I could completely see this being worn by a "Weird Girl" character, like, five years later. It kind of already is...
 Mostly, it was the hair that reminded me of this. I pretty much just divided my hair into five sections, and did a fish-tail braid on each one. 
I also realized that almost every one of these characters wears glasses. Coincidence? I think not.
I hope you're all having a glitterific day!
Love,
Chloe

No comments:

Post a Comment