Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Happy Galentine's Day!!

T-shirt: DIY, Jacket: #forever21, Pin: DIY, Belt: #forever21, T-shirt (worn as a skirt): Old Navy, Tights: Target, Shoes: Payless
Happy Galentine's Day, all of you wonderful people!! What's Galentine's Day? Why, it's only the best day of the year, thanks to Leslie Knope! On Parks and Rec, Leslie created Galentine's day, which, in her words, is "Every February 13th, my lady friends and I leave our husbands and our boyfriends at home, and we just come and kick it, breakfast-style. Ladies celebrate ladies. It’s like Lilith Fair minus the angst. Plus frittatas."
Here's some of my favorite Galentine's day cards that I've seen:
So, we needed to celebrate this wonderful holiday. My two P.E. friends and I, who have formed our own small Girl-Gang, decided to dress like members of a 60's Girl-Gang, wearing leather jackets and girl-power pins, courtesy of me and my hot glue gun. See?
I used a tutorial from Rookie. I think they turned out cool, and we wore them around all day.
I did my makeup inspired by this picture.
I also baked girl-power sugar cookies, and handed them out to my lady friends at lunch. I forgot to take pictures with my camera this morning, but I took a picture with my phone last night.
I cut out the regular circles of dough, then just put extra pieces at the bottoms to make the little cross-thing. Then, I used pink icing to do the outline, and put sparkly red sprinkles on them. They were delicious.
Last night, I made my T-shirt, and I kind of love it. I think I mentioned before about how lately I keep doodling Riot Grrrls with stars for eyes, but I kept doodling this one in particular. I don't know, I just liked how she looked in my mind.
 I also wanted to steal her T-shirt, even if she and the shirt only existed in my mind and on my paper. So, the obvious solution was just to make myself the shirt, as it didn't seem to exist. Here's how I made it (it's very very similar to my last post):
Materials:
-A plain T-shirt (I got a pack of 6 white, mens' undershirts at Kmart for 15 dollars. I got smalls, and I'm usually a medium or sometimes a large in womens' shirts, so you can kind of figure out what size you need to get.)
-Fabric paint (I used black)
-A paint brush
-Cardboard (I used an old granola bar box)
-Scissors
-A pen-pencil-Sharpie
-A geometry compass (not totally necessary)
-A ruler (again, you don't really need it)
I figured out about where I wanted the writing to be, and how big. Then, I used my compass to make a circle, about 6.5 inches in diameter, with a bigger one around it, measuring about 7.5 inches. These can each be as big or small as you want, as long as you can fit words into them, and they would fit on your shirt.
I used scissors to cut out the bigger circle, and started to cut out triangles, who's points extended to hit just at, or a little bit past the smaller circle. I had these go all around the circle.
I placed the circle where I wanted it to be, which was accidentally a little bit off-center. Make sure that if you do this, you line it up to that the circle in centered. Then, I used a black Sharpie to trace the shape onto my shirt. It was around this step that I realized my cardboard shape had been almost completely unnecessary. I think it still worked really well, and now I have a nice shape so that I can easily do this project again, but I could totaly just have drawn the shape onto the shirt. Either way, you should at this point have some sort of a pointy circle/sun type of shape outlined on your shirt.
I used the cardboard shape to figure out the center of the circle, and wrote "not" there, then figured out the placement of the other words. Once I had that, I sketched them lightly on the shirt with pencil and highlighter. Then, I started to fill in the shape with black paint. Be careful to start painting on the left if you're right-handed, or the right if you're left-handed, so that you don't smear the paint.
Then, I waited about an hour for it to dry (although I should have waited longer), and threw it i the wash.
And, voila! A Riot Grrrl power T-shirt!
I hope you're all having a glitterific Galentine's Day!
Love,
Chloe

No comments:

Post a Comment