Thursday, February 28, 2013

Style Inspiration: Raven Madison

Outfit Details- Sweater: Target, Tank-tops, Skirt, and Fishnets: #forever21, Shoes: (knock off) Doc Martins
Ok, so I have a confession to make. One of my favorite books is called Vampire Kisses. Usually, if I have to tell someone the title because they asked or something, I always say it kind of mumbled under my breath, because it really does sound terrible if all you hear is that. The description provided by Amazon is: "In her small town, dubbed 'Dullsville,' sixteen-year-old Raven -- a vampire-crazed goth-girl -- is an outcast. But not for long... The intriguing and rumored-to-be haunted mansion on top of Benson Hill has stood vacant and boarded-up for years. That is, until its mysteriously strange new occupants move in. Who are these creepy people -- especially the handsome, dark, and elusive Alexander Sterling? Or rather, what are they? Could the town prattle actually ring true? Are they vampires? Raven, who secretly covets a vampire kiss, both at the risk of her own mortality and Alexander's loving trust, is dying to uncover the truth." I'm not saying that that isn't the plot (because it totally is), but even with that this just sounds like a horrible book. It's kind of one of those things where it sounds really bad until you read it, and then it's amazing. I don't know, you might have completely different taste in literature than I do, but I love this book. It's worth at least checking it out from the library or something, because I can easily read the whole thing in a day, but it's a whole series, so I've been re-reading a book a day all week.
Why do I love it so much?
1. Although it does have the whole "Twilight-in-love-with-a-vampire-oh-no-forbidden-love" thing going on, it does it in a way better way. Who else was totally disappointed that the Cullens were normal? I wanted to see some coffins and some kick-ass Victorian drapings in their house, but oh-no, it's just gotta be all modern instead. Not in "The Mansion" of Vampire Kisses. They got all kinds of freaking awesome vampire-house cliches up in there. And it's amazing. I really want to live in The Mansion.
2. In the second book, when (OK, like in Twilight) Alexander leaves Raven to protect her and everything, rather than using the Bella Swan way of dealing with her issues (which usually consists of frantically blinking while sullenly breathing through her mouth, i.e. NOTHING!), Raven sits around kind of sad for a little while, then does the logical thing, and tracks him down, goes to find him, saves him from danger , and takes him back to their town. Personally, I like her way much better. I love Raven as a character, because she's kind of snarky, and confidant, and isn't afraid to just go do something herself if she needs to.
3. The clothes!! Raven is goth, in a town of preppy, tennis-outfit-clad "Dullsvillians," and her wardrobe consists of ripped fishnets, heavy eyeliner, and combat boots. I love that all of her outfits are always described, and they always sound amazing. If anything, read it for that. Even if I'm not inherently goth, I can still completely appreciate her style. I'd like to imagine that she'd aprove of what I put together today, even if she'd probably add some sort of a corset, and an arm full of rubber bracelets.
I feel like, over all, this is kind of a relatable story, though. Or, at least, to me it is. A huge part of the book is being an outsider, whether it's of your town or of your species. Throughout the series, there's a human who wishes she were a vampire, a vampire who wishes he were human, and people who are just outcasts of their small town. Plus, I think everyone's met their share of Trevor Mitchells in life (I promise this makes complete sense if you've read the book). I also love that instead of having Raven and Alexander meet in some cliched place, they first meet (well, kind of) when she breaks into his house and is snooping through the downstairs, hearing him blasting The Smiths upstairs and assuming it's safe to walk around. Which is why I had to take a photo peeking in a window. She really does look in windows and break into the mansion a lot...
So, I would suggest this book to anyone who, like me, is a little bit obsessed with vampires and other Halloween creatures and black lipstick, and has an unfortunate propensity for semi-terrible teen-romance books (don't judge me).
I hope you all have a glitterific day!
Love,
Chloe

No comments:

Post a Comment